Thursday, April 9, 2015

Color Me Green (Alana)



One of the biggest things I am doing now is upcycling glassware and ceramic dinnerware into beautiful pieces of art. I paint my henna designs on almost everything right now, and while I love that, there are more things I’d like to do in continuation of the upcycling theme. There are a lot of pieces out there that can’t be painted because of previously existing designs or the shape wouldn’t allow it, and I’d like to keep upcycling with those pieces. I have tons of projects saved on my Pinterest account for upcycling projects! Lawn ornaments, bird feeders, wind chimes, fairy houses…these are just a few of the ideas I'm cooking up for the future. 

I also really love the idea of recycling plastic bags and plastic bottles into art or useful things. Plastic is only biodegradable under very specific conditions. Bacteria doesn’t really touch the stuff, and since bacteria is how most organic material biodegrades, that’s kind of a problem. Quite a lot of our plastic ends up in the ocean, where it gets lots of light and water churning it around, and under those conditions plastic will eventually biodegrade. So, that’s cool that it will eventually break down, the only problem is that when plastic breaks down it becomes toxic and it ends up in the guts of sea creatures we eat and washes up on shorelines. But anyway, all that is to say, I recognize that plastic is a big problem and hope that one day there will be better alternatives, but until then! There are a lot of projects I’d like to do to recycle what plastic I can. 

As we grow as a business I hope to do more green things, and I hope we can support green movements and other really important causes in the future. 

I found my information about plastic HERE if you want to know more, and you can see their sources on the second page of the article.  Also, SciShow, DFTBA!

Till next time!
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment